Thursday, January 16, 2014


PHOENIX 1501, 15th January 2014, 
Star Theatre
/


Phoenix - Countdown (Acoustic)

You pay for emotional highs you get from the concert as much as you do for the music (both can't be stripped from the other), and as much as the highs I got was all I expected, a stripped down version of Countdown was particularly intimate. The rest of the concert exceeded my expectations, but I never expected an acoustic which allowed me to thoroughly enjoy the music instead of comparing it a set of standards in my head. Thomas Mars jumped into the audience with the guitarist (I must admit I do not know his name), the entire theatre was dark except for that single spotlight on them. He plucked the strings of guitar, a lullaby version of countdown. For the first time I could hear Tom's voice clearly and appreciated it for what it was.

The youtube video above is similar to yesterday's rendition.

-

Yesterday's concert was amazing.

Phoenix is my favourite band. These days I prefer the music of Radiohead, Aerosmith, Sara Bareilles, Shibata Jun, wind bands and many many other random songs, but there is something special about phoenix. I once declared it as my favourite band and it feels like no other band can take its place because I never put my mind to giving them a label of "favourite". Or perhaps we just have favourites at different times and the labels are special even though the substance don't mean the most. The special feelings gush back in waves whenever you return to them - sometimes you wonder how many favourites can we actually own?

They were great live, in all aspects. I screamed at the first few notes of Run run run echoing in my eardrum (it is my favourite song), joined the crowd in Lizstomania (which is the Phoenix anthem, really), grooved a little awkwardly at If I Ever Feel better (because I don't know the friends I went with well at all), pretended to be the drummer for Armstice, felt a rush during a guitar duet, was surprised they played long distance call (because it wasn't in the setlist we referred to), amazed by the fiery red screen complimenting Love like a Sunset.


While they were playing my favourite songs (Run Run Run, Lizstomania, If I Ever Feel Better, Love like a sunset, Rome, 1901), I was a little caught in between recording or enjoying it live. I have a fear of losing memories - recording them down would serve as memory cues to the performance I know I wouldn't ever forget but might not easily recall, but it does take away the full enjoyment. I ended up recording the first two and the acoustic version of countdown...

-

Anyway the concert ended with a bang - they returned for three Encores. (Countdown acoustic, Rome, Entertainment). Tom jumped into the audience and walked to the back of the theatre, the long mic cord trailing behind him. The audiences passed the cord along in a straight line as he received all forms of affection from screaming, kissing, touchy fans who eventually carried him back onto the stage. Magic happened when the first guy in white jumped onto the stage and many others followed - it felt like one of those fabulous roll call scenes, with the audience part of it.



-------------


The night was amazing, and I was amazed by the stage in general. Here are a few more:













---

This semester I wish to be more articulate and honest with myself again. There is no hurry in anything, and I am glad to be in the presence of those who make me feel I can be better, with much ease and comfort. Especially in terms of writing and music.

No comments: